The Walt Disney Company, the media and entertainment giant, had earlier announced that they will host a ‘Disney Day’ celebration on November 12, 2021. This will mark 2-year-anniversary of Disney plus (Disney’s streaming platform).
It had released a press release regarding the same which stated, “On Friday, November 12, The Walt Disney Company will host Disney+ Day, a global celebration that will come to life across all dimensions of the Company. Subscribers to Disney+ will be treated to new content releases across the service’s iconic brands, Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Star in international markets, along with a special presentation on Disney+ for fans with sneak peeks into what’s to come. In honor of the second anniversary of Disney+, subscribers will have access to promotions and experiences across the Company.”
“The inaugural Disney+ Day will be a grand-scale celebration of our subscribers across the entire company. This day of appreciation brings to life our mission to entertain, inform, and inspire fans and families around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling, and will become an annual tentpole event to be amplified across our global businesses.”-said Bob Chapek, Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company
Shang-chi streaming on Disney plus?
Apart from the aforementioned celebration, Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings, is all set to be released on Disney plus on the same date. Moreover, fans have been really excited for the same. This led to #DisneyPlusDay and #ShangChi trending on twitter this morning.
Shang-chi was released on August 16 this year in Los Angeles and on September 3 in the U.S. The film grossed $430 million which made it the seventh highest grossing film of 2021. It was filmed on a budget of $150-200 million. Moreover, it was the first Marvel film to have an Asian director and a predominant Asian cast. It starred Simu Liu as Shang-Chi alongside Awkwafina, Meng’er Zhang, Fala Chen among others.
Special subscription offer
The company has announced that on the occasion on Disney Day, people who don’t have a Disney plus subscription can now subscribe at the exclusive price of $1.99 per month. This offer is set to end on Sunday, November 14, 2021. Post that, the subscription price will resume to $7.99 per month. Therefore, people who want to enjoy the celebration must subscribe as early as possible to avail the discount.
List of movies and shows set to premiere
- The streaming premiere of Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings
- The beloved Disney family-friendly adventure film Jungle Cruise, available to all subscribers
- The new Disney+ Original movie Home Sweet Home Alone, a reimagining of the popular holiday franchise
- An all-new original series of shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios called Olaf Presents, which sees Frozen’s beloved snowman retelling several classic Disney tales as only he can
- The domestic Disney+ streaming debut of fan favorite shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios including Frozen Fever, Oscar®-winning shorts Feast and Paperman, Oscar-nominated Mickey Mouse short Get A Horse! and more
- An animated short film Ciao Alberto from Pixar, featuring characters from this summer’s animated hit breakout film Luca
- A new short from The Simpsons that pays tribute to Disney+’s marquee brands
- The first five episodes from season two of The World According to Jeff Goldblum from National Geographic
- A special celebrating the origins and legacy of Star Wars’ legendary bounty hunter, Boba Fett
- A special celebrating the Marvel Cinematic Universe on Disney+ with an exciting look towards the future
- Dopesick, an original series starring Michael Keaton, which will be released in international markets as part of the Star general entertainment content offering
Just two days prior to the Disney Day celebration, Disney had announced it fourth quarter and full year earnings which missed the estimates. This celebration is expected to aid in increasing their subscribers’ count..